Friday, December 2, 2011

December already?!

Sanibona! I realize that it has been a month since I have written a new post and I apologize for the lack of communication with all of you. The last month has been quite eventful so I will try and fill you in the best I can now. I'm sorry if I jump around and some of it seems random but try to be flexible with me! First off, I can't believe it is already December and I have been at my site for three months with less than eight more to go. The weeks seem to be flying by!


Part of the reason I have not put anything on here in a while is that my laptop has been out of commission for four weeks now. I foolishly left it plugged in during a storm one night and a power surge came through after a strike of lightning hit close by and my charger has not worked since. There is supposed to be one on the way but it has not yet arrived. Fortunately my iPod has internet capabilities so I am still able to check email and things but it is difficult to type with. But because I like you all so much I am working through it to give you this update!


The days are getting very warm here as we move from spring into summer. Most days it is at least 85 degrees and we have not had much rain in the past month so things are just hot and dry. I've never appreciated cold showers so much! 


The warm weather also makes this holiday season very interesting. Spending my whole life in Nebraska I am used to the cold and snowy holiday season but the weather is far from that right now in South Africa. Spring in the northern hemisphere is associated with Easter and the new life that is found in the risen Christ following His death on the cross. Here, however, the emergence of new growth can be paralleled with the new life that is found in the birth of our Savior. Although they are very different they also have many similarities which allows me to spiritually grow in a new way. 


My days are still spent doing work at the KwaZamokuhle Diaconic Centre but I have much more of a schedule now of what I am doing. Mondays and Wednesdays I am usually going into town with Goodness to do errands for the centre such as picking up groceries and getting the mail. Tuesdays are the day that I package the wafers that are then mailed on Wednesday. And Thursday and Friday are usually a little more open with just helping out with tasks around the centre such as painting, cooking, etc. I have started work on a website for the centre which has been slow going but good. You can check it out at www.KwaZamokuhle.yolasite.com.  It is still pretty basic but if you want to learn more about what is going on around here that is the place to start!


All of the schools are now on their summer break for a little more than a month and then they will start back up in January. I am going to try and help out at the crèche down the road a few times a week when they are open again if my schedule will allow. 


A few weeks ago all of the churches from the Ondini circuit came to Ephangweni, my home church, for a rally celebration. I am not sure how circuits are made up but there are some churches in this circuit from over an hour's drive away. Anyhow, they were all here to celebrate their partnership with a church in Germany that they have had for over 20 years. There weren't any Germans here for it but everyone was still so excited for the day and they even had special shirts made to celebrate!


Having now seen partnerships from several sides(being celebrated in Tanzania, watching the celebration in South Africa, and celebrating them in the United States) I am truly amazed by the impact that they can have. I think that in America we can lose sight of how important they are, more than just financially. As Bishop Zulu said, "The partnership was not made to be built on money but on friendship and spiritual unity." I think that this is what ELCA Global Mission's statement of accompaniment is getting at also. Both sides have gifts to share and areas to grow and it is by this partnership together that everyone benefits.


Over the last full week of November we had our first retreat with all of the volunteers here in South Africa. The retreats happen every three-four months and just allow for a little renewal and growth as a group. There will also be one at the beginning of March. 


For the four guys who are here we started a little early. On Monday I travelled the two hour kombi ride to Durban to meet up with Isaac, Steve and Taylor. We went to the beach that afternoon and although it wasn't the warmest day I couldn't not swim in the Indian Ocean! Isaac's site is in Durban so we were able to stay at his place before heading to Pietermaritzburg on Tuesday.


When we got to PMB our country coordinator, Brian, picked us up and we headed towards Howick to do the Karkloof Canopy Tour. It is a series of ziplines that have been built into a forested area complete with a stream and waterfall and spectacular views! Then we went out to dinner and I finally got some Mexican food which I have been craving! It was only nachos but with fresh guacamole it definitely hit the spot!


All of the girls arrived on Wednesday so the 12 were reunited once again! Although it was raining on Thursday we played some soccer before having a big Thanksgiving meal. Everyone made a dish that they love from home and although a lot of things had to be substituted everything turned out great! Brian's wife, Kristen, made the turkey and mashed potatoes and homemade stuffing that was all delicious!  


Thanksgiving is a day that we use to be thankful for all that we have and most Americans celebrate the day with their families. Even though nine months ago I didn't even know the people I spent this Thanksgiving with, we are all now a part of a MUD family. We might be a little random and weird and we get on each other's nerves sometimes but I know that I can count on them to be there for me if I need them. When I get back to the States no one will understand what I have been through nor the transition time except these 11 other people. I am so grateful for them!


On Friday we traveled to a hostel outside of Royal Natal National Park, dropped off our bags and headed to the park. We spent the next four hours hiking through the mountains to a large rock lookout with a spectacular view. It was truly a breathtaking sight. It was a great chance for all of us to be together in the majesty of God's creation. Following the hike we stopped at one of Brian's favorite restaurants, Tower of Pizza. I had a pizza called Camel's Hump which had bacon and bananas as toppings. I love bacon and I love bananas but I can now say that I don't love bacon and bananas together. 


On Saturday we took a guided trip to the nearby country of Lesotho. For those that don't know, it is the only country surrounded by a country. In other words, Lesotho is entirely surrounded by South Africa. It is also the third poorest country in Africa with very minimal infrastructure and opportunity. South Africa has offered to make it a state but the government of Lesotho refuses. Anyways, the trip consisted of some hiking that was often climbing up the faces of rocks, looking at old cave drawings and a little culture lesson. It was an eye opening experience to continue to see how diverse southern Africa is. In five days I had seen the beach and bustling city of Durban, the Drakensberg mountains, and now the rural and impoverished country of Lesotho. 


On Sunday we had the amazing opportunity to go to a rally in Durban to kick start the beginning of the COP17 climate negotiations. The rally was put on by a group called We Have Faith and featured speaking by Archbishop Desmond Tutu and others as well as several performers including Ladysmith Black Mambazo. We were able to get down onto the field and were less than 50 feet away from 'the Arch' as they called him. He even saw some of the group taking a picture of him and waved to us. He is a truly incredible man and it was very humbling to be in the presence of someone who had such an impact on South Africa and who continues to inspire people around the world. Truly a moment I will never forget!


All in all, the retreat was a great opportunity to reconnect with my MUD family and be able to speak English for a few days and share each other's joys and burdens of the past few months. 


On my journey back on Monday I had to wait an hour and a half for the kombi in Pietermaritzburg to fill before we left for Estcourt. When I finally made it back to the centre I dropped off my things at my flat then walked up to the office to say hi to my host, Constance. She instantly gave me a hug and said, "We missed you. Welcome home!" 


"Live life to express, not to impress. Don't strive to make your presence noticed, just make your absence felt."--Anonymous

1 comment:

  1. You nailed it! I remember my Thanksgiving away from the normal, but with people I had not known very long and it is awesome how God works. I enjoy your willingness to share even just pieces of what you are doing and how you're being transformed. No ones going to understand exactly what you're going through when you get back, but what you've chosen to do with your life is inspiring and spending a year somewhere to give of yourself and learn and grow in your faith is something you'll never forget! Thanks for the post, it's going to snow today, so I'll be thinking of you! You're in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete