Thursday, April 5, 2012

Called to Live a Life of Love


There’s that age-old question about whether or not you would want to know the day you are going to die.  How would you live your life differently?  What would you do with your final years, months, weeks or days?  I’ve been thinking about this question a lot this week as I look at how Jesus prepared for his death.  He knew that his death was coming but he didn’t go skydiving or spend a week on the beach in Hawaii.  Instead of doing things for himself, he spent his time with those he cared about and teaching them how to serve.

We get the Maundy in Maundy Thursday from the Latin word for commandment.  On what would be his last night, there are three commands that Jesus gives to his disciples.  The first command was to wash one another’s feet.  Jesus decides to show his love for his disciples by lowering himself from the role of teacher and washing their feet, a job usually only done by servants. (I don’t know about you but washing feet, especially of people who have been walking on dirt roads in sandals, is not at the top of my Bucket List.) Although I don’t think we need to literally wash other people’s feet, Jesus does call us to do more for those around us.  In this one act the son of God is showing that no one is greater than anyone else. At the end of the day, we are all human and we all struggle so we should be willing to help each other out when we can, no matter of status.

The second command Jesus gives is during the Passover meal.  Jesus tells his disciples to eat the bread and drink the cup of wine in order to remember him and the sacrifice that he would be making.  On the night of the first Passover the people of Israel were delivered from the bondage of slavery in Egypt and on the night of this Passover meal Jesus would deliver the people of God from the bondage of sin.  Jesus is the spotless lamb who is willing to die so that we would be saved from death and given eternal life.

“A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. This is how all men will know that you are my disciples, when they see the love you have for each other.”  Jesus’ final command to the disciples seems so simple but I think that most people struggle to follow it, or at least I do.  It is really hard to love everyone that we come across.  There are bound to be people who get on our nerves and frustrate us.  And surely Jesus isn’t asking us to love the people who have hurt us, right?  I think that he is. But he doesn’t mean the Valentine’s Day, hugs and kisses kind of love all the time.  I think he is calling us to be the bigger person when it isn’t always easy, turn the other cheek when we’ve been hit, and genuinely try to get along with one another.  Everyone is a child of God and should be cherished for that.  We shouldn’t be showing our love when it is convenient or when we agree with everything someone believes in.  We are called to love in spite of our differences.

This is an interesting command for me to think about with my time here in South Africa and my experiences in the States.  I know that there is still a lot of racism in the US but here it is much more obvious.  Less than 20 years removed from the apartheid system there is still a lot of tension between people here and I see discrimination and hear racist comments all the time.  In my time here, however, I have tried to break down some of those boundaries and ‘spread the love’ through little actions like asking why a racist remark was said or what that means to them.  I think that the little actions we do matter just as much, if not more than the big things. It’s not what you say that defines you, it’s what you do.

We might not know when our last day on Earth will be but Jesus laid out pretty plainly what we are supposed to do with the time that we do have: wash each other’s feet, feed one another, and love each other. In essence, he is calling us to be servants.  I pray that in our service to each other we will find the joy and presence of God that He wants us to discover.  In Jesus’ death and resurrection he lifted the burden of sin from us so that we could be free to share his love.  So, what’s stopping us? 

"And I will live to carry Your compassion, to love a world that’s broken, to be Your hands and feet.  And I will give with this life that I’ve been given and go beyond religion to see the world be changed. By the power of Your name."
Lincoln Brewster, Power of Your Name

No comments:

Post a Comment